Recently it was brought to our attention that one of our current policies did not fully align with a a 2021 OMHA regulation 3.6 Eligibility to Play in a Higher Division
. Because of this, we met to discuss how we could rectify this quickly and fairly prior to the start of tryouts. Executive members voted to amend our policy and the amended version is attached for your review. Understanding this is somewhat of a controversial topic, we carefully considered how this change would affect the future of Lambeth Minor Hockey
and all its players. While the decision was not an easy one, we feel we need to continue to improve and align our policies and procedures with other area centers
Players must meet ALL criteria laid out within the policy including:
A summary of the amended policy is below – however, anyone wishing to go in this direction must also make the request in writing to the Registrar:
- An underage player may only be approved for selection to the higher-aged team on one of the following conditions:
- is evaluated and ranked as the top goaltender within the older age group
- is evaluated and ranked as a top 3 skater within the older age group
- The Selection Committee will determine the underage player’s eligibility for selection no later than the conclusion of the third try-out, however, the head coach of the higher-aged team may advise the underage athlete of his/her nonelection at any point after the conclusion of the first try-out.
- Representative teams from Novice through to Midget are allowed a maximum of two underage players of which only one may be a skater.
- An underage player must pay two separate non-refundable tryout fees if applicable (their own age group as well as the older age group they are trying out for)
- An underage player must attend both their own age groups’ as well as the older age groups tryout to secure a spot on one of the two teams.
- This policy does not apply to an underage player seeking a spot on an Additional Entry (AE) team
- At the end of the current season, an underage player must return to the team of his/her proper age division and must follow the same procedure for the upcoming season if he/she will be requesting to play for a higher-aged team again.
Please carefully read the policy attached in its entirety and contact your Registrar and/or Convenor.
MHAL Executive Board